Donate Your Vehicle

Vehicle Donation

Vehicle donations provide a great way to support the mission of Catholic Charities of Southwest Kansas. Through our partnership with CARS (Charitable Adult Rides and Services) you may donate your vehicle in any condition and from any location. Turn your car into a contribution by calling 844-313-4483 to donate. A CARS representative will answer your questions and schedule a pickup of your vehcile at a time that is convenient for you.

What are the benefits of donating my car to Catholic Charities of Southwest Kansas?

Catholic Charities of Southwest Kansas benefits by receiving donations to fund our ongoing work of honoring human potential through service, advocacy and invitation, in the spirit of the Gospel, so that every person experiences hope and fulfillment.

Through our partnership with CARS (Charitable Adult Rides & Services), you benefit by a reduction in your taxable income when taxes are itemized. In addition, you avoid the costs associated with selling your car, such as paying for advertising, vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Do you only accept cars for donation?

Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, cars, motor-homes, and airplanes. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program toll free at 844-313-4483.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?

No. In some cases we can take your car, running or not. The car must have an engine and be towable. Contact a CARS representative at 844-313-4483 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

All vehicle donations are processed as quickly as possible, and we make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. In some cases, if we receive your call early in the day, a same-day pick may be available. Call the CARS representatives at 844-313-4483.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling CARS representatives.

What paperwork do I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Please have your title with you when you call in your donation. A clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, you will receive an IRS Form 1098-C in the event that the sale of the vehicle exceeds $500. If the vehicle does not exceed $500, the thank you letter that you will receive can be used as a tax receipt.

How does the tax deduction work?

You can deduct the value of the vehicle only if you itemize deductions. A receipt indicating the vehicle sales price will be sent to you within a few days after the pickup of your vehicle. Please consult a tax professional for further information.

What can I claim as a deduction?

Donate Car

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. An IRS Form 1098-C, “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution. Please consult a tax professional for further information.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?

The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Call (620) 227-1562
M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST


Mail check or money order to:
Catholic Charities
906 Central Ave
Dodge City KS 67801