The Catholic response to disasters in the United States is coordinated by Catholic Charities USA's Disaster Response Office which was established in 1990 through an agreement between the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA). In the event of a disaster, Catholic Charities works with local agencies, vendors and subcontractors to provide critical services such as emergency food, shelter, direct financial assistance, counseling, and long-term support, regardless of faith, creed, race, or socio-economic status.
Disaster Services in Southwest Kansas
In southwest Kansas, Catholic Charities stands ready to provide immediate and long-term assistance in the event of a disaster:
- Assessment - Catholic Charities will work with individuals and community agencies to assess the immediate needs (e.g. food, shelter, clothing, etc.).
- Emergency Funding - Catholic Charities will provide supplemental emergency funding to meet the immediate and short-term emergency recovery needs that are not being met by other assistance providers in the first 30 days after a disaster. To do this, Catholic Charities will contact the CCUSA Disaster Response office, and work to distribute any funds received from the national office. Additionally, Catholic Charities will maintain records of those assisted, what the funds were used for, and the volunteers involved.
- Catastrophic Response - In the event of an exceptional disaster situation calling for a catastrophic response, Catholic Charities will work with the Bishop's office to determine the need for a diocesan or national appeal, and will then work to distribute those funds.
- Long-Term Recovery - Catholic Charities will assist with Long-Term Recovery. After initial emergency needs are met, and other sources of financial assistance (e.g. personal insurance, government assistance (FEMA), and other church and disaster organizations) have been exhausted, Catholic Charities will assist with long-term recovery efforts that require staff, case management, financial assistance vouchers, home repair, temporary housing, equipment and training.
- On-going Coordination - Catholic Charities will attend local disaster recovery meetings.
If a disaster occurs in southwest Kansas, we are here for you.
Contact Catholic Charities
Debbie Snapp, Executive Director